Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Day 13

June 13, 2005

I made it to Grangeville, by way of White Bird Hill. It wasn’t pretty.

I got up and slowly made my way out of Lucile. I knew the hill was the only big obstacle in my short 36-mile day, so I wasn’t in any real big hurry to get on the road. I was about half way to the hill when Mack came up behind me. He looked to be a little older than me and was headed to VA as well. We chatted for a while and he said he heard the alternate route up to the top was a lot less strenuous and may be the better option. I was considering the alternate, but still wasn’t sure yet.

When I came to the pass I decided to take the alternate. It was an extra four miles, but it did have more switchbacks and would be less stress on my joints. I was about four miles up the hill when it happened – I got off the bike… I walked up a hill for the first time in the trip. It’s really not that big of a deal, but for a stubborn man like me, it’s not the best thing for the good ole’ ego. And of course, as I was walking the bike up the hill, two other loaded cyclists came by to chat. They were two guys, in their forties, just taking a two week tour of Idaho and the surrounding country. I told them of my troubles and they offered some Advil and wished me luck. Also, I found walking the bike up a hill isn’t exactly the vacation I thought it’d be – it’s almost harder than riding it up, certainly more awkward.

But I made it up and over and to Grangeville in one piece. My knee started bothering me again toward the top and along the long stretch of flat into town, but hopefully the ice and drugs will help. I stopped in for some good Mexican food and then came to the motel to soak the bones and get a good night’s sleep.

It’s actually morning now; I was too beat to type when I had the chance last night. Today I head for Lowell; it’s 50 miles up the road with relatively easy grade. Again, I’m taking my time getting out of here. I have ice on my knee and plan on taking off around noon, after getting a little fuel in me.

I am still concerned about the knee and such, more so the knee than the ankle. The ankle problem is in the Achilles and I think that’s just soreness that can be easily remedied. The knee problem worries me because it seems to be less of a muscle problem and more of a bone/joint, structural problem, if that makes sense. I know my technical, medical lingo may be hard to follow…

But we’ll see how these next few days go. Like I’ve been saying, it’s good to know I have lots of play in the schedule to take, if needed, up to a week off and rest. I’ll let you know what happens.

“Today:” 41.30 Total: 689.99

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mad props to u man!!!! keep it up!

16/6/05 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home