Sunday, June 19, 2005

Day 19

June 19, 2005

The last off day in Missoula… It was nice, although I’m definitely ready to get back on the road.

It was a pretty uneventful day. I woke up late, had a Pop-Tart for breakfast and bummed around until the Braves game came on. I went back for two more $1 junior whoppers for lunch, finished tweaking the bike, and headed over to the other side of Missoula to find materials for a little arts and crafts project.

I got the idea to make a little “4Pedals.com” sign to put on the bike for when I don’t have my jersey on, and I figured today was a good day to knock that out. I asked a lady if there was an arts and crafts store around and she sent me over to a Michael’s arts store.

On the same road as Michael’s I found a Target, Lowe’s, Best Buy, Old Navy, and every other typical store you’d expect in a well-populated American town. We passed a few of those types of stores on the way into town, but this road was the main drag for them. As great as it is to find little unique stores in the small towns I’ve come through, sometimes it’s also nice to go into a Target or Best Buy and find things just as they are back home. That aspect of sameness in those super-stores can be a good argument against them, however today I found it comforting. I picked up what I’d need to make the best bicycle billboard ever, and headed back.

It was about an eight-mile round-trip, and the knee felt great on the bike. It was also really weird being on the bike without the load on the back. The weight on the back takes the wiggle out of the bike and makes it easier to control. I got back and started making the sign. It looks pretty good, not too shabby…

The sign was pretty much the highlight of the day. I had two more $1 junior whoppers for dinner – I’m not addicted, I can quit whenever I want to – and watched the Pistons go a game down in the finals.

I’m not sure what time I’ll be heading out of Missoula tomorrow. I have to swing by Adventure Cycling and pick up my package, if it ever gets here. And sometime after that I’ll take off.

I’ll be camping out for the next several stretches, so I may not be able to update the journal as often as usual. But stay tuned. When I do update it I’ll have much to share I’m sure; I hope…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the photo of the billboard???

20/6/05 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home