Saturday, June 25, 2005

Day 23

June 23, 2005

Today was a nice easy day out of Helena. Knowing I didn’t have far to go to my next stop, I extended my check out time to noon and took my time getting started.

From the hotel, I went over to the bike shop to have them tighten a few things up. They lined up my rear derailleur, trued my rear wheel, lubed everything up again, and removed salt and sand from my spokes. The guy asked if I’d been to the beach because he found some salt and sand build up; I guess I didn’t clean it as thoroughly as I should have back in Florence.

After a few phone calls and a great gyro from the store next to the shop, I left Helena and headed for Townsend. About ten miles out of Helena I came up behind Filip. Filip was on his way home to Boulder, Colorado from Calgary. He has cycled all over the world. Being self-employed for a while, he was able to take extended tours through Europe, Australia, New Zeeland, Central and South America, and even a bit of Africa. We talked as we rode and pulled into Townsend together. The last ten miles of the ride into town we enjoyed the wonderful benefits of a great tailwind. We hardly had to touch our pedals as we averaged close to 20mph; it was great.

There was another great picnic shelter for us to camp under at the campground we came to. We hung out for a while, read and rested from our short trip, and went to the grocery store to pick up some dinner. On the way back from dinner I chatted with a guy named Steve who had cycled cross-country fifteen years ago. He enjoyed hearing about my trip thus far, reminiscing about his trip, and talking about potential plans to make the trip again with his son when he came of age. Filip and I got back to the campground, ate dinner, and chatted about some of his climbing expeditions up McKinley and through Yosemite, as well as my plans to scale Everest.

After a few more chapters of The Jester and watching the shifting colors of the setting sun, I zipped up the bag and fell asleep.

Day 23: 34.20 Total: 1042.22

Ps.
I'm kidding about Everest - for now anyway...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home