Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Day 40

July 10, 2005

Well, the plan for this day failed to materialize. I had a hard time sleeping in the bunk of the Alpen Hutte hostel the night before and woke up at 8:30, I wanted to be 15 miles away and having breakfast at 8:30. I packed all my things, loaded the horse and headed over to a little breakfast joint for the day’s fuel. It was a little after 10 when I finally got on the road.

The ride from Silverthorne to Breckenridge was pretty great. The route followed a 15-mile bike path between the two towns. I really like how a lot of these towns out here cater to outdoor activities and things of that nature. The paved path was well marked with signs warning of tight turns, steep descents, etc. There was one spot that ran in front of a fire station, and the folks of the fire station built a cooler stand that they kept stocked with nice refreshing water that I was able to refill my water bottle from.

After enjoying the nice path to Breckenridge, I pulled in around noon. I parked the bike and went for a nice stroll through the town. As I walked I thought about how ahead of schedule I was. I figured this would be a nice town to spend the night in, and headed over to the hostel to check in for the night. The hostel was also a bed & breakfast run by Nicki and her husband. It was a really nice place with really friendly folks and I was happy with my choice to call it such a short day.

I went back out for lunch and had a great cajuned pasta dish from Rasta Pasta, then finished touring around the town. Later in the night there was a concert in a pavilion that sat adjacent to a lawn on the bank of a small river that runs through Breckenridge. Evidently it’s not uncommon for people to bring their blankets and snacks and sit outside the pavilion on the lawn and enjoy the music coming from within. I went and got a sandwich and came back and enjoyed a bit of the music coming from George Winston’s piano concerto from within the white tarped walls of the pavilion.

When I got back to the hostel I found Nicki and four other guests watching television in the living room. I ended talking to them as I played on the computer at a nearby table and planned the next day. Two of the four were two ladies from Pittsburgh enjoying a nice vacation, and the other two were a nice couple from Tampa, also enjoying their vacation. We talked for close to an hour and one by one they each went collected donations for the Foundation. So Thank You again to Chris, Shirley, and the Wolbarsts for your great company and generous financial support.

I said goodnight to my new friends and went back to my bunk and comfy comforter for the night. Tomorrow I would get up and tackle Hoosier Pass.

Today: 19.15 Total: 1,829.05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home