Saturday, August 13, 2005

Days 71-73

August 13, 2005

Two weeks from now the trip will be over.

Thursday I left Lexington and got back on the road for Virginia. Before leaving I was disappointed to learn the paper did not run the story as I eagerly anticipated. Referring to our conversation the night before, about big papers versus smaller circulars, Brett’s response to the sad news, or lack of news as it were, was, “That’s the nature of the beast…”

A little ways down the road I stopped by a little farm to hang out with a handful of very hospitable horses. I’ve really come to appreciate horses through the course of the trip. They have to be one of the most regal animals on the planet. In addition to their incredibly strong physiques, they seem to have a nice quiet wisdom about them. They’re quite amazing.

After my little equine excursion, I got back on the road and noticed a man taking my picture as I came down a hill. As I passed the man I realized it was Pablo. He had mentioned he had to go out of town that morning to get some pictures for the paper. I told him to keep an eye out for me in case he’d pass me on the way back, but was surprised our paths had actually crossed again. He passed me and turned around to take a few shots of me coming down the hill. It was really great to see him again. We chatted a bit, he gave me a bottle of water, we took a look at his better-detailed road atlas, and parted ways once again.

It was another day of feeling my way in a general eastward direction. I ended up calling it a day in Campton, Kentucky. Several people warned me that I would start to encounter some pretty rough hills on the ride coming out of Lexington. Thankfully it wasn’t anything I couldn’t handle. However, it was a pretty hot day, as they all are, and I was glad to finally rest for the night.

Yesterday I started the ride in the hopes of reaching Virginia. I knew it would be a long day but also knew it was possible. Had I managed to get on the road earlier than I did, I would have made it. I ended up running out of daylight. Yesterday did confirmed, however, that I’m in the best shape of my life; of course an amazing realization through a great day of riding.

As I said, the goal for the day was to cross the VA state line. Stupidly, I finally got on the road at 12:30pm. Even with the late start, I knew it was possible. It was possible, but I’d have to work hard to make it happen. I got moving and, pretty quickly, ran into a little succession of hills. I set a few bars for myself, as a hopeful means to reaching my goal for the day, and powered my way along. It was the hardest I had worked since the ride to Canon City with Temple, and it felt great.

I actually love to sweat. As weird as it may sound, I like being drenched with sweat in the midst of a workout. I guess it just feels like proof; proof you’re really working hard. Yesterday the sweat was, once again, rolling off me as I motored along. I was able to find a consistent cadence, which I hadn’t had in a while, and maintain it. In contrast to the day before, along with many other days, I focused on keeping the cranks spinning, and was pleased with my ability to do so. I was able to slip into a bit of a zone and perform. After I’d stop to grab a snack and a drink, it would take me a few minutes to fall back into the spell, but once I did I was in, moving just as smoothly as before.

As a personal act of quiet stubbornness, I haven’t used the third chain ring since before Missouri. I vowed not to dip into it for the duration of whatever Ozark madness I would encounter. I was successful in keeping my oath in Missouri and haven’t used it since, yesterday being the first test of that oath in a while. There’s really no reason for it, just a little personal “I did it” for whatever it’s worth. I’m sure it’s actually a waste of energy and wearing out my middle chain ring, but I’m a dumb young man and will, undoubtedly, continue the streak as long as I’m able.

I got to the east side of Pikeville at 6:30 and stopped in a Shoney’s where I inhaled a sweet tea, a piece of strawberry pie, another sweet tea, and spaghetti dinner, with meat sauce on the side, in that order. I kinda threw the lady for a loop when I asked for my dessert first, but it looked so good in the window I didn’t want to wait. On the way in I spoke with a guy who said the state line was about 30 miles away. Just as I planned, I ate and was back on the bike at 7 o’clock. I really thought I could hustle and get to VA in two hours, just behind the last shades of dusk.

As I made my way through Pikeville I noticed it was getting darker quicker than I anticipated. I felt something telling me to throw in the towel and call it a day. So, having learned my lesson to trust my instincts, I stopped on the west side of town and set up camp for the evening. I didn’t make it to VA, but I counted it a successful day nonetheless.

I decided to take today off here in Pikeville. Nothing too exciting, just a day of resting and preparing to roll into VA. Another sign of my hard work yesterday was the soreness I felt this morning. My lower back being the main pain, my whole body felt a touch more sensitive than normal. So it was extra nice to take it easy today.

Two weeks from now the trip will be over. A trip that once seemed as if it would never come now seems as if it has flown by. I used to refer to the ride as a journey, however, the speed with which the trip has taken, as well as the choices that lay ahead have shown me that it is only a trip, a short stint in a larger journey that will press on long after the 27th. I’m not sure where my journey will lead me after this trip comes to a close, but I will be ever thankful for the opportunity I had to make it and take in all I’ve been able to experience as a result. I am increasingly more thankful for having known Stephen and being able to benefit from the legacy he left behind. This was really a present given to me from him and I thank him for it. It’s been amazing.

But it’s not over yet... As anxious as I am to get home, I do still have 14 days left. I’ll be tapping into a few more papers in Virginia and making a final run for media exposure. I’m proud to say the three big news affiliates have committed to being at the beach for the Finish Line arrival, thanks to my hometown media/pr coordinator – my mom. So, that will be a nice final piece of publicity for the Foundation and the event...

I guess that’s all for now. Tomorrow, Virginia!

Day 71: 64.43
Day 72: 85.44 Total: 3,414.26

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home