Friday, June 17, 2005

Day 14

June 14, 2005

Here’s the story with this day’s journal entry: I typed it out in the tent that night, I know I did. However, evidently I didn’t save it when I closed out of Word… I don’t know what happened. But it was only two days ago, and I’m pretty sure I can recall a pretty good summary of the day’s events, so here it goes…

I had a pretty slow start out of Grangeville. I left the motel around noon and stopped by a hot dog place for lunch. After lunch, I went and picked up a brace for my knee. I bought one for my ankle but figured it was a little overkill and returned it. With those two stops and a few others to adjust my seat, it was around 1:30 by the time I pulled out of town.

The ride down out of Grangeville was great. I came across a book of cycling quotes and philosophies in Richmond, and in it they talked about “The Flow.” You know your in The Flow when you find yourself in a great down that seems like it’s going to last forever. You hardly touch your breaks and the road and the bike seem to dance with each other as you lean in and out of the turns. It was a great 7 miles.

Shortly after that great ride down out of Grangeville I came across two girls taking a short rest. They are Elizabeth & Amy and they are from Santa Cruz, California, going to South Carolina. Mack had told me about them the day before and there they were. One of the great things in running into them was their greeting of, “You’re the guy on the tandem! We’ve been hearing about you, we were wondering when we were going to meet you.” It was good to hear the tandem is leaving its mark.

We finished the day together and camped out in a campground in Lowell, Idaho. We set up camp in record time and ran in to grab some dinner before the restaurant closed. After dinner we decided to take advantage of the hot tubs at the park. It was nice to get in and soak the bones again before heading off to bed. That was a great night, just enjoying the cool night out in the hot tub, getting to know the girls a little better. It was a good day; the highlight was definitely running into the girls, they are great company.

So, that was the day in a nutshell. I’m still kinda bummed that I lost the real entry. Oh well, you’ll forgive me, right..?

I also remember writing about how I hadn’t mentioned it before, but I am enjoying telling people about what I’m doing and why I’m doing it. And I also thought of how I hadn’t really mentioned Stephen in the journal, but you can rest assured he’s definitely been making his appearances… As detail oriented as it may seem I am sometimes, there is a whole lot more going on out here to convey it all in the journal, I’d never get any sleep…

That day: 52.45 Total: 742.22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home