Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Day 20

June 20, 2005

Well today I left Missoula, and that’s about it.

I got up, loaded the horse, and headed for Target. One of my old youth pastors now lives in Bozeman, Montana and is willing to let me swing by and hang out for a day. Yesterday when I was in Target I looked through an Atlas to see if there was a more direct route to Bozeman, there was and I wanted to go back to jot down it’s course. I took notes on the roads to Bozeman and went over to Wendy’s for lunch where, sadly, they do not have $1 whopper juniors…

One reason I went to the other side of town to Target to copy the atlas was to stall and give the package I was waiting for time to get to the Adventure Cycling office. Apparently, I would have had to stall two or three more days if I wanted to pick it up in person. My friend, who will remain nameless, that sent the package did not send it in time for it to meet me in Missoula, even with the extra weekend. After hanging around ‘til 4, I decided to give up, get on the road, and try to get a few of the much-anticipated miles under me.

I was pretty frustrated that I had wasted so much time when I got going. The main thing about the package was that my sister, Christina, rushed to put together a nice little something for me and I now wasn’t even going to be able to get it. As you can see, I really had to work hard to let the whole situation go, but when I did, I let it be a little lesson in – something… Just patience, forgiveness, and – coolness of nerves I guess…

One thing that helped take my mind off it was how great my legs felt. Today was the first day I actually felt strong on the bike. Again, many thanks for all the thoughts and prayers for my knee. A friend wrote me and told me “Healing was mine,” and he was right. With a little faith, focus, and fortitude (how’s that for a little alliteration) anything’s possible. It all truly boils down to confidence, and more on that in the days to come I’m sure.

With the late start and an extended stop for hotdogs and a chat with a local about a girl in town who has CF, I only ended up going about 30 miles. I have an extra day to get to Bozeman, so that was fine by me, no rush...

I pulled into a little campground in an experimental forest run by the University of Montana. I rode by the turn off for the campground and headed up to the “Lodge and Convention Center.” I went in to use the bathroom and continued on the road. I came across a series of cabins and a super-sized cabin with a dining room and kitchen. I asked the ladies if it was okay to camp nearby and they said it was. They said there’s a little bear that likes to come around and check things out from time to time, but if that wouldn’t bother me, I’d be more than welcome. I hope he’s friendly…

I’m actually staying in the shelter of a picnic space, I’m going to put a couple tables together and lay my mat and bag out on them. It’s nice not having to pitch the tent. It’s even nicer not having to break it down in the morning, not that it’s a terrible nuisance, it just makes for a more speedy start on the day.

So that was the day back. Hopefully you will be reading this shortly via the online journal. If so, it’ll mean I wasn’t eaten by the bear tonight, and I survived to post it.

… bears are cool, bears are cute, bears are my friends… bears are cool, bears are cute, bears are my friends… bears are cool, bears are cute, bears are my friends…

Today: 31.90 Total: 903.18

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home