Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Day 21

June 21, 2005

I made it, no bears! Although I did hear some other beastly noise that I was sure came from nearby wolves. The sound was hideous, I don’t know how to describe it. Idaho is in the middle of some "re-introduction of the wolf population," and I thought for sure they were out last night. I thought that until I was setting up my tent tonight and heard the same horrible noise coming from the other side of the hill followed by a girl yell, “Would you shut-up!” So either they have figured out how to tame wildebeests, or they are just really abusive to their animals in Montana to make them howl such awful sounds.

I got up bright and early and was on the road by 8 this morning; I plan on doing the same tomorrow. I stopped a short ways up the road for a hotdog, lemonade, and blueberry muffin for breakfast, making you hungry..? It wasn’t the best breakfast of the trip, but it did the trick. As I was finishing an article outlining how Sadam Hussien prefers Dorito’s when given the choice, I noticed a couple of loaded cyclists pulling into the rest stop across the street. Opting for cyclists over the bearded detainee, I folded the paper and headed across the street.

The couple, from St. Louis, was headed in the opposite direction and headed for Astoria, Oregon. We chatted about how they were looking forward to the mountains and I was ready for some flat ground, wished each other well, and parted ways. I would soon understand why they were ready for the mountains.

I got back on the bike and made my way to Ovando. I had to turn off the main road about a half mile to get there, but figured I could use a Coke to finish waking me up. It’s a cute little town. The sign on the way in broadcasts the population "around 40." I went into the little general store and grabbed a Coke, a pair of Twinkies, and a sleeve of sunflower seeds. As I was paying I noticed an article of Lance Armstrong winning last year’s Tour de France. As I zoomed out of the article, I noticed it was taped to a framed t-shirt signed by Lance. Evidently he has friends near Ovando who own a ranch and visits them each fall. Now I can say I’ve rode the hills where legends trod...

After the nice, older lady and I finished chatting about her celebrity visitor, we started talking about my cause, where she was from, and how much she preferred the stillness of Montana over the bustle of San Francisco. She said one night she and her husband recently found themselves lying on the hood of their car staring up at the stars, able to see into the vastness of night unlike ever before. As she kept talking about the Milky Way they saw, I kept thinking about the image of the older couple on the hood of their car as if they were 17 again…

As we wrapped up our conversation, she reached into her pocket and handed me a donation for the Foundation. I gave her a huge Thank You, had her write down her info, and headed outside to enjoy the Coke before getting back on the road. I was almost through the pick-me-up when the lady, who I now knew was Mrs. Krudop, came out and told me to go over to the café across the way and get a boxed lunch to take with me. She had told me earlier that her daughter owns the café, and apparently she called over and let her know I was coming. I went over and picked out a great lunch, again extended many thanks, and went on my way. Needless to say, I like Ovando. Again, Thank You Mrs. Krudup and your daughter for your sweet kindness.

Today was the first day I felt the wrath of the sun. While I was rolling it was fine, but when I stopped, it took all of fifteen seconds for the beads of sweat to come. In my helmet there are little cushions to help make it more comfy. Well, I sweat like a beast. And I’ve learned those little cushions quickly turn into sponges. I stop, lean my head to the side, and push my helmet against my forehead to drain all the sweat from my helmet. Lovely, huh..?

I stopped by a little saloon to call my sister, Janice, and wish her a safe first solo flight down to Atlanta, as a passenger… I also used the restroom, inside the establishment, and asked the server if it would be alright if I ate my little box lunch in there if I only ordered a drink. And yes, I must be getting used to these little towns, I would never even think of doing that back home. She obliged, and I was able to refuel in the comfort of the AC. And for the record, Ovando gives new meaning to the term “Box Lunch.” Huge, great sandwich – three meats, tortilla chips, salsa, apple, carrots, celery, homemade oatmeal cookie, and mint. Unbelievable.

The last 15 miles to Avon made me appreciate the mountains I will soon be leaving behind. The wind was ridiculous. I got a first hand glimpse of what lies ahead in the plains I am approaching. There was one series of gusts that almost blew me over as I stopped to wait it out, seriously. I may end up riding back and circling around Idaho and Oregon if this keeps up, I’ll let you know.

But I finally made it to Avon and had a great meal, finished off by a great Chocolate-PeanutButter Shake! And now I’m camping next to the restaurant in the adjacent lawn.

Today: 72.88 Total: 976.06

**The last half of this entry was written here in Helena. As I was writing last night, the dark side of Montana revealed itself to me and, with it, a storm packing the fury of a category 2 hurricane. I’m talking, gust of up to 20-25mph easy, rain, lightning, thunder – the whole package. It was the first real test of the tent, thankfully it held up. The thunder was the best part, I don’t know if it’s closer, being higher than normal, or what. But it sounds like the sky has just violently fallen to the ground, and with the high hills and mountains around, it reverberates for an extra 5 seconds. It’s Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home