Monday, June 27, 2005

Day 26

June 26, 2005

Today started off as planned. We all went to church today at the Julian’s new home church in Bozeman. The senior pastor was away for a wedding, so I was able to hear Steven from the pulpit. He also recognized me in the service and asked the congregation to remember me as I continue my journey.

It was good to see Steven and Stacey again. We spent a good deal of time reminiscing about people and events from the past at Alliance. Steven even refreshed a few details about Stephen for me, which we were able to laugh about and enjoy. He remembered once, when he was helping coach the Alliance golf team, Stephen came up and showed him his new 9-wood golf club. Never hearing of, nor seeing such a silly thing, Steven asked him how far he could hit it, “About a hundred yards,” he replied. Having no choice, Steven came back with the only obvious response, “That’s what your nine iron’s for!” It may only be funny if you ever played a round of golf with Stephen in that “wooden” phase of his game. There was a time when Stephen would play 85% of 18 holes with his Big Bertha driver, his Adam’s Tight Lies fairway wood, and his putter; he was out of control. But I really can’t say too much about his love for his weird woods, he knew how to use them. I don’t think I ever beat him. The last time we went out we went over to City Park and used our two rain checks from another time. I remember I was able to stay within a few strokes, but he still beat me.

Steven and I also talked about how he never let CF get in the way of how he lived his life. He accepted it and that was it. When he had to start carrying the oxygen our junior year, he did it and kept going without missing a step. He still golfed, still hung out, still worked. He graduated and started going to TCC with it. He never hid; was never ashamed of it. He let it be his cross that he carried. As I look back, I wonder if it was somehow a source of strength for him. They say people acquire strength through adversity, Stephen already had the strength – but looking back, it seemed as if he was almost proud to carry around that awful bag with its heavy tank of gas in it. Maybe it’s just me realizing how embarrassed and afraid I would have been had I been in his place. He was the man…
There are times when I think of Stephen when I’m on the tandem and I get the weird looks of, “What in the world..?!?” I used to be a little self-conscious of those looks and the comments that go along with them. And then I’d think of Stephen and how he carried that awful tank around with him for two years. I’m sure he felt his share of looks and unspoken slights, he had to. But he never hesitated nor let them affect him. So, sometime in the last few weeks I’ve come full circle and, maybe like Stephen, become proud of the unusual facet distinguishing me from the norm. To endure a few raised eyebrows and snide hollers from the cars whizzing by is the least I can do to honor the great life and spirit of Stephen.

I type this only 20 miles from the Julian house. I finally got rolling this afternoon around 4, which was fine. I was only planning on going about 35 miles, so the late start wasn’t a problem. The sky had been densely overcast all day. I was 10 miles into the ride when I noticed a nasty front quickly approaching from my right. I knew it would hit within the hour and started thinking of contingency plans for lodging tonight. I was in no mood to set up camp in the rain, and it was looking like that was going to be the case if I didn’t find a spot to lay out the tent within 20 minutes. I stopped into a gas station and asked if there was a motel around and the girl said a mile up on the right. I debated staying at the gas station and letting the storm blow over, but ended up getting on the bike and trying to fly down to the motel before it hit. I didn’t fly fast enough. It hit and hit hard.

In this trip of superlatives, I’m sure you’re getting tired of hearing them all, but believe me when I say it was the worst yet. Worse than the storm 5 miles out of New Meadows when I felt I was being tossed about in a boat out at sea. It was a lot of rain and a lot of wind, thunder and lighting also added their usual festive flair to the event. For one ten-second stretch it felt like the rain was coming at me sideways. I got doused in a matter of minutes.

As I pulled up to the motel, I noticed the “no vacancy” sign was lit. I went into the office and asked the man to tell me that was a mistake. He told me they were indeed all filled up due to a nearby wedding – “Couldn’t they have done it next weekend?” I thought… I hung out on his porch while I tried to dry and thaw out. Then, once the clouds looked like they’d allow me, I went up the road 7 miles to a Cabin and RV park where I set up for the night.

I was hoping to get closer to Big Sky tonight, but I’m in good shape. I’m going to get up and ride the 15 miles there to have breakfast, then make my way to Yellowstone, about 50 miles from Big Sky. Should be a good ride. Lets just pray God goes easy on the rain tomorrow.

See ya in Wyoming…

Today: 20.52 Total: 1,142.51

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home