Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Day 28

June 28, 2005

Today was a cold, nasty day – kind of a bummer…

I got up relatively early to get a jump on the day, only to find it pretty chilly and very overcast. I went and had some great blueberry pancakes, came back, packed up and got ready to figure out the day’s itinerary.

The first thing I needed to do was get my chain tightened. After I left Matt yesterday on my way into town, the chain connecting the two sets of pedals came off the rings. I knew there was a way to tighten it, I just didn’t know how. I went to a little bike/kite/video rental store and met the owner who walked me through the process. It’s great picking up all these little things; getting more familiar with the bike and how it works.

As I was wrapping things up at the shop, the wind and drizzle started to head over. It was a very chilly day to begin with, the wind and rain didn’t help. Luckily, it was time for lunch. After a great pizza, I darted in and out of stores, trying to take shelter from the inclement weather. There’s only so much browsing a person can do before he or she, mainly a “he”, can’t take anymore. I did manage to get a pair of sandals I had been wanting for a while, but after an hour and a half of stalling I was ready to make a decision about what I was going to do for the day.

It was close to 3 and the sky didn’t look like it would be offering any reprieve any time soon. Having exhausted all other places to hang out, I decided to go back to the hostel and spend another night there – here. That meant I wouldn’t be able to meet up with the trio later on like we had planned, but it was gross, I was tired of walking around, it was only ten dollars more than I would have spent at the campground; it was a good choice.

I checked back into the room and met Denny who is hiking the Continental Divide Trail. These hikers kill me. He has already hiked the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and is now working his way up the Continental Divide. If you don’t know too much about hiking, just know that’s madness. He’s 53 and a great guy to talk to.

On the way to park my bike I picked up a flat, the first one since coming out of Eugene. Once I got settled I went up to the store to pick up a few groceries and came back to begin fabricating the new and improved Bionic Boot Cover, guaranteed to protect from wind, rain, and road crud up to 400 miles. It’s great; see below for a glimpse of this modern marvel. After putting so much time and energy into the structural engineering of my new masterpiece, I was to tired to create it’s mate, the left boot. At least I’ll have one dry foot. I’ll work on the other one tomorrow, it’s not supposed to rain tomorrow. And of course, that means it will…

I fixed my flat, ate my leftover pizza, read more of the Jester, ate some graham crackers with peanut butter, drank some coke, packed up for tomorrow, came down here, and wound my way to typing out the journal for today. I also got a shower sometime in there.

Tomorrow I’m getting on the horse around 6 to catch the trio before they head over to Old Faithful. I really enjoyed their company and it’ll be good to ride with them for a few days.

Hopefully tomorrow will be what I was hoping today to be: a lot of great wildlife, awesome views, good company, and Nice Weather. Supposedly the high is to be around 70 with party cloudy skies, we’ll see… Today it was 55-60 with isolated nastiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home