Thursday, July 07, 2005

Day 37

July 7, 2005

Kremmling, Colorado. As I was riding over from Walden today, I realized I didn’t post the pic, or even mention the fact that I had crossed into my Fifth State, Colorado, upon arriving in Walden. So I’m mentioning it now: Colorado, number 5!!!

Today I slept in and checked out of the little motel before 11. I made a few phone calls and headed over to a restaurant for a nice, energy-inducing brunch. I ended up having lasagna, with a trip to the soup and salad bar; it more than did the trick.

The first half of the 60-mile ride was painful. There are two routes from Walden to Kremmling, the old and the new. The old route is 20 miles shorter and favored by cyclists named Byron. Of course I didn’t have that route mapped out, so I had to go by memory and follow the signs. I knew there was a pass somewhere along the way, but I didn’t know how far into the ride it was.

I was plugging along and not making much progress. Between the dreadful 11mph pace at which I was riding, and the frequent stops to “rest,” take pictures, and whatever else I could find an excuse for, I was averaging close to 8mph. I felt slow, lazy, and tired – and I hadn’t even done anything. Finally, I had traveled roughly 30 miles and had come to the junction of the next road I was to turn onto. I came to the tee and found a sign marking the top of the pass along with the Continental Divide. I had been climbing steadily the whole way and hadn’t even realized. That was only part of my struggle, but it was a big part – or at least I’d like to think so. Another part of it was getting started so late. It was pushing 1 by the time I got on the bike and started rolling out of town. It’s really good to get on the bike early and get the miles in quick. Pretty soon I’ll have no choice but to get up and get them in early, just to avoid the heat.

After cresting the pass I didn’t know I was climbing, the rest of the ride was great. I pulled into town and made my way to this RV park with free wifi access. As I was getting settled and unloading the bike, a friendly couple walking by asked me if I wanted a drink. I said sure and the husband went over to his RV to get me a Coke while his wife and I chatted. He had cycled cross-country in ’91 and could sympathize with the weary cyclist who just came in from a ride. We chatted a bit, then I went back to setting up for the night.

As I was laying out my tent, a couple from Amsterdam came back from grocery shopping and introduced themselves. Unfortunately, they are headed west. They are Paul and Anne, and started in Yorktown early May. We were talking for about a half hour when the nice couple who welcomed me earlier walked over with a stack of watermelon and a handful of cold drinks. We were amazed and thanked them repeatedly for the unexpected kind gesture. The five of us chatted briefly, and the couple invited us over for pancakes in the morning before they head off. Really great, huh? So now we have reservations for a nice 6am breakfast.

After savoring the sweet watermelon I had been unconsciously craving since the Fourth, I sampled some of the fine cuisine Paul and Anne were making, and headed back into town for the main course.

I ended up going to a little bar and grill. I was able to catch the sixth stage of the Tour de France while I hung out and ate my salad. As I was about to enjoy my burger I noticed a guy in cycling garb come in. I went out and saw a pair of loaded bikes and went over to the table and introduced myself. I ended up bringing my burger over to their table and eating with them. They are four guys, just finishing up college, 2 from VMI and 2 from Princeton. We had a great time eating and sharing stories of the ride thus far. They are going east, but at a much quicker pace than I. We closed down the place and walked outside to find the sprinklers in the park across the street, where two of the guys’ bikes were parked, dousing their bikes, soaking one of the guys bags in the process. He doesn’t have waterproof bags and now didn’t have dry clothes either. He managed to smile for a picture anyway as I snapped one off, wished them well, and headed back to camp.

It was 10:30 when I got back. I quietly got settled and headed over for a shower. It’s nice to have wifi in a campground. This is the first time I’ve ever been online in a tent before, really roughing it… I think I’m going to take another day off tomorrow. I didn’t do my laundry yesterday in Walden when I should have and it’s getting pretty bad. Plus it’s only $6 for this nice spot at this park. And hopefully, I’ll be able to meet a few more cyclists passing through. I’m doing fine time-wise, and won’t be thrown off for taking another day so quickly.

So that’s all for now. I have to get to bed so I can get up and enjoy the early morning pancake breakfast. Should be nice…

Today: 64.98 Total: 1,766.36

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wifi? whats that stand for? something internet/online.

10/7/05 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home