Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Day 42 & 43

July 13, 2005

Two off days in a row – What’s going on..?!? Yesterday was a planned off day to enjoy the white water of the Arkansas River on a rafting trip. Today’s off day was an unplanned demonstration in the power of excuses.

Yes, yesterday I went on a white water rafting trip down the lower portion of the Arkansas River through Royal Gorge. It was one of the best experiences of the trip. I went with a company called Echo Canyon and highly recommend them if you’re ever in Canon City. The river guide, TJ, knew a ton about the river and was able to point out numerous highlights of the terrain. At the halfway mark of the 20-mile trip we stopped and had an amazing lunch on the bank of the river featuring a huge deli buffet that impressed all that were able to enjoy it. The views up from the bottom of the gorge were unlike any I’d ever seen; floating down the river, looking up to the thin stretch of sky that peeked down between the 1,400-foot auburn walls of the canyon – it felt like I was in a movie. And the best part – the rapids were amazing. We went through a few series of nice class 4 rapids that I’ll remember forever.

For a would-be adventurer such as myself, there’s nothing like hanging out the side of a raft, trusting you’ve firmly secured your feet, reaching out, grabbing as much water as possible with your paddle, and thrusting yourself and the craft up and over a wave. You crest the wave as it disappears beneath you, sending you back into the river where your met by another wave of water crashing in and washing over you by the married force of the river and the speed with which the raft dove into it. It’s such a rush to be caught in the whirlwind of the ride as you shake off the water, let out a huge, deliberate exhale, and lean out for another adrenaline-induced stroke while straining to hear the guide’s commands amidst the roar of the rapids.

It was unbelievable.

There were several moments when I realized exactly how short life truly is. I kept trying to figure out how I could work out a plan to come back and spend a summer or two working the river myself. What a great time that would be, the guide, TJ, even admitted how fortunate he is. He’s just about to wrap up school and loves the summers on the river. I’m sure I don’t need to go into it, you can imagine what a great few months that must be. On the water everyday, meeting new people and taking them down the river, guiding them down a ride of a lifetime, spending your days among friends while navigating the raft through the rapids on the bottom of the beautiful canyon… I guess I decided to go into it – but there’s just not enough time to do it all, not now at least. Maybe I’ll retire early and take a year or two to come back and learn the river, who knows…

It was a pretty quiet bus ride back, as everyone was exhausted from the trip. I didn’t expect it to be such a workout. However, it was nice to work the abs and upper body a little more than the lower body for a change. The only bummer about the trip was I didn't splurge for the water-proof camera, didn't go for the even more overly priced pictures they took, nor risked taking my not-so-waterproof camera along. Unfortunately, no pictures other than those in my mind to share with you. I rode ten miles into town and found a cheap motel to crash, and crash I did. I checked in, brought in all my stuff, and took an hour nap. Then I woke up and headed for Chili’s to use a few more vouchers for dinner.

With the ten-mile ride to Canon City, the mileage total stands at 1,931.10.

Today I woke up around 9 and emptied all my dirty laundry on the floor. I scooped it all up and went down to find the laundry. The man said they didn’t have anything but said I could go to the Laundromat a mile and a half down the road. So, I came back to the room and dumped the clothes back on the floor. I updated a bit of the journal and tried to beat the clock to be out by noon.

It was 11:30 when I started fighting all the excuses and reasons to take another off day. It was 11:35 when I stopped fighting. I’m so weak.

I am proud to say, however, that I was pretty productive on this second consecutive off day. I went and had lunch – check. I went to Wal-Mart and got a pair of pliers – check. I came back and emailed a few people – check. I’m getting tired of the “check”s. I thoroughly cleaned my bike, which hadn’t been done since Missoula and was very thankful for. I properly fixed my rack, for the last time. I cleaned myself of the diesel-engine mechanic look, picked my clothes back off the floor, and made the hike to the Laundromat.

That was pretty much the day. Tomorrow I’ll finally get to Pueblo on the 44th day of this 88-day trip. Half way home on the half way day – right on track. However, I know it’s not going to take me 44 days to complete the trip. I’m working on a little detour off route to kill some days so I’ll pull up to the Atlantic on the 27th in real time without having to ride around the block for four days. I’ll let you know how that shapes up.

Think of me as I get back on the bike tomorrow after this “weekend” of sorts off. Until next time…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

white water rafting! awesome!!!

16/7/05 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home