Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Day 50

July 20, 2005

Today I got out much earlier and was able to avoid the afternoon heat. I got up at 6 and went for breakfast and was on the road before 8. It was a nice morning of riding. I was able to average just under 20 mph on the ride to Colby. I knew I was moving along pretty quickly, but I didn’t think I deserved to be pulled over by the state patrol…

I was halfway to Colby when Officer Byron, true story, slowly passed in the other direction and motioned to stop as he turned around to chat. I guess it doesn’t matter what I drive, I still manage to attract attention from the boys in blue. He asked me if I came from Colorado and told me I wasn’t allowed to ride on the interstates in Kansas. I told him I was looking to get off as soon as I found the option and he gave me directions to get off and keep moving east. He was a nice guy and asked about the tandem, chatted about my pedals and how they play on the knees and such. I gave him my card, told him to check out the site, thanked him, and went on my way. Still making friends…

I got off the interstate and finished my ride to Colby. And I can’t keep mentioning “Colby” without telling everybody about my favorite crazy jack-russell terrier, Colby. Ever since I started seeing the signs for Colby yesterday, I haven’t been able to keep the loveable pup out of my head. He’s like the hyper kid in school who always drove everybody nuts but was incredibly smart and had a ton of potential… That’s Colby. He’s my friend Leslie’s dog and is the coolest in Richmond; just ask him to put on his “Doggles”...

I got into town and drove around while I made my way for lunch. As I was riding around I saw a nice park to set up camp for the night. I was planning on going to Hoxie, but decided to hang around here since I had the time. I ate and walked over to check out the movie times at the nearby movie theater. I was going to beat the afternoon heat with another matinee in the AC. I was bummed to find they’re only open on Fridays and Saturdays. I heatedly screamed, “IT’S SUMMER, PEOPLE!!!” to the empty building and went back to the bike. I muscled the bike from its parking spot and realized I had a flat rear tire as I got on it to head up the road.

I really wasn’t looking forward to patching the tire on the side of the road in the sweltering afternoon heat. With that being the immediate situation, and the promise of my 2-hour movie cool down being stripped from me, I decided to walk into the Motel 6, conveniently located 100 yards away, and check out their rates.

I have decided to make a valiant effort to make this the second to last hotel I check into. I’m sure Libby and I will split a motel when we meet somewhere around St. Louis. Other than that, I am committing myself to camping out from here out, or at least, just no more motels. And I’m making it official by putting it in the journal, adding some accountability… We’ll see what happens…

Today: 44.27 Total: 2,253.29

Ps.
I was only kidding, there was no screaming outside the theater…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok dont leave some of us hanging what is "doggles"???

20/7/05 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home