Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Day 49

July 19, 2005

Today was incredibly hot.

I got out and rolling around 11, much later than I should have; lesson learned. I decided to have a banana and ride the 16 miles to Burlington for my real meal of the morning. I got to Burlington hot, thirsty, and ready for the AC.

The heat throws everything off physically, it’s really important to get an early start to avoid as much of the heat as possible. I went to McDonald’s in Burlington and got a super-sized value meal. The first thing I went for was the drink machine to fill up my super-sized bucket of Coke. It didn’t take long to go through the bucket and, stupidly, a refill. Of course, the insane amount of Coke made me sick and gave me a nice cramp to work through before getting back out to the bike.

I hung out and let my stomach work itself out a bit and went back out into the heat. Before I left for the trip, my friend Jeff, who knew what I’d be up against, told me to think of him when I had to take a nice hot swig of water from my bottle on a blazin hot day. I thought a lot of him today; it’s awful. Before I left McDonald’s I refilled all my water and even put ice in it. I wasn’t 5 miles down the road before the ice had melted, and no more than 12 miles down before it was nice and warm again. I just tell myself it’s some kind of really bad weak herbal tea that I have to drink. And it works; I manage to drink it. But between the warmth of the water, the great plastic flavor added by the bottle – now intensified by the heat, and the headache you’re already fighting, the water almost acts against you and makes you want to stop drinking it. It was a hot day.

I ended up pulling into Goodland and calling it a day, that was enough for me. I also vowed to get up and out much earlier tomorrow…

Today: 51.00 Total: 2,202.29

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should dip a decaf tea bag in your hot water for flavor. no caffine that just dehydrates you quicker! ~Natalie K

20/7/05 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home