Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Day 56

July 26, 2005

Today was, by all traditional standards, a nasty, rainy day. However, I found it to be a beautiful reprieve from the heat that has plagued the past few days of the trip.

I got up and saw it was rainy and cool outside and figured I could take my time in getting on the road. After a stop by McDonald’s for lunch, I got on the road around 1.

It really was a nasty day. It was the first rain day since riding into West Yellowstone, and that seems like forever ago. Time has really flown by. The other day, while updating the journal, I couldn’t believe I was already at “Day 50.” It’s almost over. Part of me is, of course, extremely excited by that and part of me is pretty sad by that as well.

But anyway, I was able to enjoy the return to the rain and it’s coolness for the better part of the ride. There were a few times that it became more of a struggle than I would have liked, but overall, it was a fun ride. I got to town and was guided into Topeka by my Dad who got online and became my second pair of eyes.

My cousin David also called while I was on the road to let me know the article ran successfully in the Clay Center Dispatch. If you wish, you can read the article by clicking here.

I have been touched by all the recent notes in the guestbook. Many have been left by families directly related to CF in a real and personal way. I thank you all of you who have left such kind and encouraging words. I am trying my best to tell our story and spread the word of this awful disease we all know too well.

From what I gather, this experience continues to be a wonderful circle of hope and encouragement. You tell me of how encouraged you are by the journey and how you enjoy reading and participating in it and, in turn, I get encouraged and inspired by hearing of the courageous battles continuing to be fought with CF in the hearts and bodies of your amazing children.

It’s so easy to forget how fortunate most of us are. We so often get caught up in the day-to-day tasks of life and fail to recognize the small miracles we take for granted. The miracle of health, just being able to wake up every morning and complain about the heat without having to complete 45 minutes of therapeutic treatments beforehand. The miracle of friends and family. The next time you get upset with someone close to you ask yourself how much you love them before you act out on the frustration – we waste so much time fighting over the trivial details of life. Why not be thankful for and embrace those close to you; delight in your differences. Life is too short. Stop and take a picture of a flower. Then develop that picture, frame it, and give it to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while.

Last fall, while I was teaching at Catholic High in VA Beach (Go CHS!) we watched and discussed the film Dead Poets Society. One of the most obvious points in the film is “carpe diem,” seize the day. I think I got more out of the lesson than the kids did, I hope not, but I think so. As the bell rang and the kids scurried to gather their belongings and race out the door, I challenged them again by telling them to do something that day that scared them. As we discussed in the 50 minutes prior, I was alluding to something along the lines of telling someone how much they appreciated them, or giving one of their parents an unprompted hug... As they left I seriously hoped none of them decided to set their hair on fire and jump off any roofs.

Fear can be a wonderful thing, especially in letting your senses know you’re still alive. I got a huge dose of fear as I stood at the top of that cliff a few weeks ago. I didn’t tell anyone, but I counted it a small celebration of life for myself; celebrating the opportunity to experience fear and the indescribable reward of completing the jump.

I guess I just say all that to say, I recognize how precious life is. And when I hear of a ten year old fighting a horrible monster like CF with the courage and determination of a soldier it just blows me away. It’s incredible to think of how strong and resilient the unbreakable spirit of a child can be. I don’t think I knew it at first, but I saw it long ago in Stephen and I know the same spirit lives in the hearts of the countless young adults battling all kinds of disease, not just CF.

Life is good, be thankful for yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home