Friday, July 22, 2005

Day 51

July 21, 2005

Well today was another hot, hot day. I got off to another late start and rode right in the heat of the day’s death zone.

I patched that flat in the rear tire last night and was going to put it on the bike this morning before taking off. As I was pumping it up this morning I snapped the pin inside the valve; as you may remember, this isn’t the first time I’ve done this. Consequently, all the air I had put in the tire came pouring out as soon as I took off the pump. Having no spare tube, I feared I was in real trouble.

I looked in the phone book for a bike shop and found none. After five minutes of thinking how I could get a tube mailed to me, I decided to look in the other phone book for the surrounding counties. In that phone book I found a shop within a mile’s walk.

I walked over to where the shop was supposed to be and asked a lady if she knew where I could find it. She informed me the shop had recently moved and was now on the other side of town. She also said she’d give me a ride over if I wanted. Of course, I graciously accepted. She gave me a ride over to the shop, waited while I bought the four tubes, and took me back to my bike at the motel. It was incredibly nice of her; and Michelle, I thank you again!

Once I got the new tube in and everything ready to roll out, it was approaching noon. I knew it’d be a hot ride but figured it’d be a short one and I could deal with it. It was close to 1 when I finished lunch and got on the road. After a stop by Wal-Mart for a jug of Gatorade to put in my bottles, I was off.

Like every other ride in the heat, the sun quickly heated my bottled fluids for the day. Today I’d have Passion Fruit Hot Herbal Tea by Gatorade to get me to Hoxie. It wasn’t the best, but it was 100 times better than the plain hot water. The heat was intense but thankfully I had a nice crosswind trying to keep me cool, it was the first time I was thankful for a crosswind. But even with the wind, at times it was unbearable.

At one point I notice one of those long irrigation systems in the distance. I immediately thought of how great it would be if it were running and said a little prayer that it would be. Thankfully, it was running! I parked my bike, took off my helmet and gloves, and went down for a nice cooling little roadside shower. It was great! As I was walking back to the bike a nice older man going the other direction in an oversized pickup slowed and asked if I was alright. I told him I was just cooling off a bit and he offered me some water. I thanked him but told him I was in good shape. With a tip of his hat, he told me to stay cool and road off.

I was pretty set after that refreshing romp through the artificial rain in the field. I did have to stop frequently to rest and take a few sips of my afternoon tea, but I made it. I pulled into town, got a nice tall ICED tea at a convenience store, and asked directions to the public pool.

For $1.50 I got to enjoy the refreshing waters of the Hoxie Municipal Pool with a host of other children trying to beat the summer heat. It was quite the reward for surviving the ride. After an hour and a half of summertime fun, I went back to Main Street for a bite to eat.

I went to Short Stop, a small little café, and enjoyed a nice chat with two older locals while I waited for my chicken fried steak. They were nice folks and gave me directions to a better park than the one I was headed for to camp for the night. As the man finished his coffee and got up to leave, he slid a five under my plate and asked if that would help the cause. I told him it would indeed and thanked him very much. Even more Kansas Kindness…

I ate my dinner and made my way over to the park; they were right, it is very nice. I even have a nice wind blowing, keeping things as cool as they can be. I really have nothing else to do tonight. I’m hoping to be asleep shortly after dusk and wake up pretty early. I’m going close to a hundred miles tomorrow to Osbourne. I’m hoping to get there by 1 and avoid the heat all together, or as much as possible…

Today: 39.58 Total: 2,292.87

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

B.J!!!! This is the first I've managed to find you, though I've heard about your journey from a couple different people. I'm thrilled to see it's been over 50 days, and you're still going strong! You're incredible, man! Best to you in your continuing trip!!

23/7/05 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home