Monday, August 15, 2005

Day 74

August 14, 2005

Virginia! It’s good to be here. Crossing the state line was definitely the highlight of the day, other than that, not much else happened. So, rather than bore you with the mundane details of where and what I ate, I’m just going to try to convey how great it felt to finally cross into my home state.

As I lay here, trying to figure out how to begin describing the feeling of crossing into Virginia, I realize it’s almost impossible; I can’t even really describe it to myself. I knew it would be a cool final threshold, but I was surprised at how overwhelmed I became as I started pedaling again, after the ceremonial photo session with the much-anticipated state welcome mat.

It was the first time I actually felt I had crossed into another state. It was more than just a sign this time; it was different. I felt like Dorothy stepping out of her wind swept house into the colorful world of Oz, it was beautiful. Just as I crossed the line, truly, the road joined forces with a river and ran side by side, the river to my left. The high wall of the bluff to my right took two large steps backward and was now showcasing the lush green blanket of sprawling ivy that covered everything and even hung from the trees. Mini-waterfalls of runoff water from the hills dotted the ride as the moisture of the recessed woods cooled my skin.

I couldn’t stop stopping. I kept wanting to take pictures, I also didn’t want the feeling to go away. I was on Cloud 9, reeling in a state of numb confusion over all the events that led me to that little bubble of time. I really felt like Dorothy, that’s as best I can describe it. I felt like I was in a place I knew but had never been. I kept looking up, to the right, the left, behind me... I finally put the camera away and told myself to enjoy it. I felt like I had crossed the Finish Line.

I was about 12 miles from Grundy and in no hurry to get there. I was on my victory lap. Not too far into the ride of euphoria U2’s Where the Streets Have No Name came on over my MP3 player – of course it would… For those who may not know – just, if you haven’t heard it, or haven’t heard it in a while, check it out. It’s a great song with the most incredible, adrenaline-inducing intro ever written. I was so pumped. I felt a truck coming up behind me, as it passed and I saw the bright Virginia license plate pull away the most giddy laugh flew out of me. It was nuts. It was great.

I want to do it again…

So I’m home; the rest of the ride is dessert. And I can’t wait. I don’t even know what else to say. I just put on that song again, closed my eyes, and let Bono and the boys take me back to this afternoon so I could refresh the feeling, and once again I’m speechless. What a great ride.

Today: 55.34 Total: 3,469.40

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home