Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Days 76&77

August 17, 2005

Ten Days, Baby!!! How ‘bout that!

When I try to think of the trip as a completed task I’m rendered speechless. I can’t describe all the things that come to mind when I think of the Finish Line and all the things I encountered on the way to it, and to try to describe the wave of emotions that flood me while I think of all those things is out of the question, it would be impossible.

Yesterday I had another thrilling ride through the hills of Virginia. I got on the road and enjoyed an hour of quiet riding through a small valley on a little two-lane road. It was a nice afternoon despite the distant thunder. The approaching shower caught up with me about halfway to Radford and kept me company the rest of the way into town.

It was another ridiculous downpour. And again, it was quite fun. I didn’t even bother digging out my rain jacket; I just enjoyed it. It reminded me of playing soccer in High School. The best games were always the ones played in the rain; completely drenched, covered in cut grass from the waist down, finding any excuse to slide and get even more dirty – good times. It was only the second ride in the rain since the ride into West Yellowstone back in Montana. At one point my feet looked up and said, “Hey, remember when we’d get soaked like every other day back in Oregon and Idaho?”

I got to Radford, about ten miles from Blacksburg, around 7 or so and called a friend who lives here to see if I could crash with her. I hung out in coldest Taco Bell this side of the Mississippi (which I can now say that with some credibility) while I ate and waited for the friend to return my call. She never did, but I didn’t mind. I found a nice little $25 motel instead. The shower alone was worth $25.

Today I planned on heading over to Blacksburg. The plan was to get over there, hang out, then meet Molly and her husband for dinner. Molly emailed me a few weeks ago and told me about her 7-year-old niece, Diana who also has CF. She and her husband, Allen, live in Blacksburg and were excited to meet while I was nearby. We exchanged emails this morning and she said they could take the short ride over to Radford and meet me over here if that would be easier. So that’s what we did.

It was really great meeting them; we had a really nice time. Thankfully their niece is doing great. The doctors say if they didn’t know she had CF, they wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at her lungs, they’re strong and healthy! So, pray for continued health and success for Diana, as well as all the many other children fighting this disease.

I would also urge you to consider making a pledge to the Foundation. I know it’s a bit of a sacrifice, but I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t something I didn’t believe in.

Right now there is no cure for CF, but progress is being made. In addition to over one hundred care centers, a network of research centers, and the provision of numerous grants for CF research to be done all over the world, the Foundation also hosts an annual conference in Williamsburg, VA. For some reason, this has been one of my favorite tools of the Foundation to learn about.

Now in its 18th year, this exciting conference invites scientists, literally, from all over the world to share knowledge from their specific disciplines and converge to create a dynamic atmosphere of collaboration. Dialogues range from new drug discoveries, more effective treatments for patients, and breakthroughs in gene therapies, along with many more exciting topics and ideas regarding the ongoing war with this disease. It is this type of forum that will continue to keep the lines of communication open among researchers and push them toward innovative techniques in confronting CF.

The CF Foundation won’t waste your money.

If you aren’t the check writing type, click here to make a contribution using your credit card. It will take 5 minutes, 3 if you’re good, and you will receive a confirmation for purposes of tax deduction. If you would, also be sure to mark “In honor of” 2 Feet 4 Pedals so we will be able to track the funds being given as a result of the trip.

I’ve said it before, because I believe it to be true – there is no such thing as a small gift. I know many of my friends are still working while going to school; I know how tough that is. If you could just spare $10; that would be awesome! Before I left, my sister donated $10 of her hard earned babysitting money. That was just about a third of her total assets at the time and it couldn’t have been a greater gift. Just take 5 minutes, try and see if you can do it in 3 – I bet you could…

One of the best things I’ve learned out here is that there are far more good people in the world than there are bad. As much as the media may try to paint the picture of a scarred and broken society, I’ve found the exact opposite to be true. People inherently desire to find good in others. I found it all across the country, from a multitude of races, from many parts of the world. I believe one of the reasons we were put on this planet was to look after one another. Whether from Jamaica, India, Holland, New Zeeland, Kansas, or Virginia Beach, we're all still amazing human beings that believe in the great universals of love, health, and happiness.

We’re all the same.

You may not know someone personally with CF but trust me, they are out there; 30,000 strong. And they are just as wonderful as your little brother, sister, son, daughter, niece, or nephew.

Day 76: 66.33 Total: 3,584.48

2 Comments:

Blogger SuperByron3000 said...

Nice work, I knew it could be done..! Thanks for contributing!

18/8/05 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are still missing the usa adventures. ..we check on you everytime we can. . goodluck with the finish line and don#t forget its a journey not a destination!
europe just ain´t the same. . . .
heather and jackson

22/8/05 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home