Monday, July 18, 2005

Day 45

July 15, 2005

Today was yet another off day. If getting to Missoula was Freshman Orientation, this past week or so has been my Christmas/winter break. I feel like I’ve been on vacation from the trip with all the recent off days. But it was good to regroup and spend some time with the atlas in preparation for my second half off the TransAm.

I got up and made my way for the Gazette, the newspaper of Colorado Springs and its surrounding areas. If you ever have the option to read the Gazette, don’t. It was the first time I got the door slammed on me.

I went in and spoke with a lovely lady at the front desk, told her my story and such, she said to pick up the phone behind me and call up to the newsroom. Long story short, they weren’t impressed. And I should have been a bit more persistent, but I wasn’t. I was so shocked by the lady on the other end and her air of being annoyed by the query that I counted it a loss and went about my quest for a Target.

I was pretty anxious to get to another atlas. If I weren’t preoccupied with the new route, I know I would have tried a different department with the Gazette and been more persistent. But instead I went on a little journey to find food and that atlas. I found Target and the new map around 1:30 and decided to spend the rest of the day hanging out and getting my bearings for the days to come. I also decided to shed some of my extra weight and get a package together to send home.

After finding a place for the night, I left for the post office around 3:45. I was little over a mile down the road when I picked up a flat. The rain was looming in the distance, I was without my gear, and decided to throw some air in the tire and head over to the theater across the way and go to the post office tomorrow before taking off. So, instead of a trip to the post office and a tour around town after, I checked out a Friday matinee of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. Personally, I’d give it a B+ or so. I thought it was worth my $4.

And that was about how the off day in “Springs” went. I don’t think I’ve mentioned it, but all these towns out here have little nicknames: Colorado Springs is “Springs,” West Yellowstone is simply “West,” Breckenridge is “Breck,” and evidently Pueblo is commonly referred to as “Blow.” So now you too know the lingo to fit in as a hip local should you ever find yourself on the outskirts of one of these fine towns.

I actually covered a few forward miles in my running around today:

Today: 16.94 Total: 1,994.75

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

$4 that is the cheapest matinee in a while you will see :D

19/7/05 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home