Monday, July 18, 2005

Day 46

July 16, 2005

Today I got up with a decision about how to head out of Springs. I could have taken the more direct route east out of town, but instead I chose to head northeast toward Limon. There were more towns on the road to Limon and I’d be in a better position for my next move once I got to Limon.

Another fun little perk of heading up toward Limon was that ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was wrapping up a project in Peyton, 20 miles out of Springs. I heard they were in town on the news and decided to swing by the set and check things out. As you can imagine, it is quite the production.

As I pulled up to the house, it looked like a small army had taken over and quarantined the whole square half-mile that had become their compound. Trailers, pavilion tents, RV’s, telescoping construction lights, two makeshift parking lots, and a slew of other elements composed a mass of controlled chaos. It was actually pretty neat to think of all the detailed planning and layered timetables that go into pulling off such an operation. I parked the bike and went up on the hill with the rest of the spectators and Ty-watchers.

The guy’s a stud and he knows it. He’d never get lost, that’s for sure. Whenever he wasn’t in the house or in a trailer, the sounds of screaming girls filled the air. I couldn’t understand why they were screaming for him when he was at least 300 yards away. I was standing right beside them and they didn’t even seem to know…

Although I folded into the ranks of the amassed mega nosey neighbors, it was a pretty neat thing to watch. And they also ran coolers full of iced bottled water for the onlookers, which was very cool. One of the vice presidents for the contracting company running the show made one of the water runs up the hill and took a string of questions, answering some of the behind-the-scene questions people had.

After leaving Ty and his blue army of volunteers, I got back on the road toward Limon. I ended up stopping in Calhan for the night. It wasn’t as far as I had planned, but it was good enough. I thought there was some rain coming and wanted to get set up before it caught up to me. The rain never came, but it was good to settle down a little early.

Today: 53.94 Total: 2,048.69

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home